Welcome to the municipal election pages of Johan Plomp. On these pages, you will find information about me and the issues I would like to promote in the city council of Tampere – when I get elected.
The municipal elections were moved from the original date and will now be held on the 13th of June, choosing the members of the city council for the next 4 years. Advance voting is possible from 26th of May until the 8th of June. Also foreigners living in Tampere may vote under certain conditions. You will find more information about the municipal elections from the governmental pages on the elections. I am a candidate for the Christian Democrat party.
I am a 54 year old father, husband, senior researcher, and active member of the society. I was born in the Netherlands, have lived in Finland for more than half of my life and obtained Finnish citizenship, and would like to build this society together with you. In my diverse job as researcher I have aimed to advance the competitiveness of Finnish industry and small and medium enterprises in particular. I have also worked on innovations to promote the health and wellbeing of people, including elderly. My active involvement in associations, hobbies, and the church have introduced me to the needs of a great variety of people, for example immigrants and children. Society performs best when there is a valuable place and task for everyone. I want to work towards this kind of society by creating and developing humane and ecological services, providing a good ecosystem for companies that provide jobs, and supporting hobbies, sports, and volunteer activities for the advancement of the local neighbourhood and the wellbeing of its residents.
Programme in brief
- Tampere should take environment and climate change into account in decision making
- Immigrants should be assisted to find their own place in society
- Healthcare should be organised in a proactive and efficient manner
- The wellbeing of children should be supported through affordable hobbies
- Elderly people are a valuable resource of our society
- Public transport should be a realistic alternative for cars and free for the deprived
- The conditions for new and small companies should be improved
- The societal involvement of companies should be further developed
- Local democracy should be advanced and new methods applied
- School teacher’s resources should be improved
Boards and hobbies
(past and present)
- Atalan seudun omakotiyhdistys (regional residents’ association) – chair person
- Tampere Technical Innovation Award committee member
- Opintanner Student Housing board member
- Tampere Logistics vice member of the board
- School parental committee chair person (Oulu)
- Dutch society in Finland – secretary/vice chair person
- Harju chamber choir treasurer
- International Church council(s) various positions including secretary and chairman (Tampere/Oulu)
- International Christian Association in Finland – treasurer
- SIGCHI Finland – treasurer
My hobbies include music (piano, organ, choir), reading, photography, sports (hiking, soccer, biking, cross-country skiing).